Friday, December 3, 2010

West African Chicken Stew



this is by far one of the most delicious recipes i have come across lately.  not only is it one of my new favorites, it's an instant winner with everyone else.  first thought for most is...chicken and peanut butter?  some "pansy palettes" are not so ready to try as others, BUT once they try that first curious bite...it's all over...
actually IT'S ALL GONE !!!
no kidding...my sister-in-law was here (for 24 hours) and i had a fresh batch in the fridge.  i didn't tell her what was in it, i just said it was interesting and "West African"... she was game for a bite...it was ALL GONE by the next morning.  my mother, the namesake of "pansy palette", couldn't keep her fork out of the pot.  now every time we come home from Cost-co with a roast chicken she asks if i would whip up "that yummy chicken pea-nutty thing"...i've even eaten it cold because i couldn't wait for it to be warmed...really you must try this one.


i came across this by luck.  i was on the hunt for some "lo-carb" recipes and found a great blog.
Kalyn's Kitchen.  she has some delicious lo-carb, lo-glycemic, South Beach friendly recipes...AND she introduced me to this wonderful WEST AFRICAN STEW.  (she adapted it from a recipe by  Tony Rosenfield with his 150 ways to use a roast chicken) 
i have copied the recipe for your convenience, but please visit her blog and get her info on this recipe and i'm sure you'll find other great guilt-free goodies.


West African Chicken and Peanut Stew with Chiles, Ginger, and Green Onions
(Makes 4-6 servings, recipe adapted from 
150 Things to Make with Roast Chicken and 50 Ways to Roast It by Tony Rosenfield.)

1-2 T olive or canola oil (the recipe called for 2 T, but I think you could use less)
1/4 cup finely diced red onion (could also use regular onion)
1 T finely minced ginger root (I wouldn't use ginger from a jar for this dish)
2 tsp. finely minced jalapeno (I used pickled jalapenos which worked fine. Increase if you want it spicy.)
salt to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp. sea salt)
1 tsp. chile powder
1 cup chicken stock (chicken broth from a can is fine)
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (use natural peanut butter without added sugar for South Beach Diet)
2 T tomato paste
1 T cider vinegar
3 cups diced, cooked chicken (use white meat or carefully remove fat from dark meat for South Beach Diet)
fresh ground black pepper to taste
3-4 green onions (scallions) thinly sliced
Finely chop the red onion, ginger, and jalapeno, and roughly chop the chicken. Heat oil in a heavy pan, add finely diced onion, ginger, and jalapenos, season with salt, and saute about 2 minutes. Add the chile powder, stir into other ingredients, and saute about 1 minute more.

Add chicken stock, peanut butter, tomato paste, and apple cider vinegar, stir, and bring to a slight boil. As soon as it starts to boil, lower heat to a very gentle simmer, add roughly chopped chicken, gently stir to combine, and let simmer 10-15 minutes. (Resist the urge to stir it very much, or the chicken will shred apart, which you don't want here.)

While mixture simmers, wash, dry, and slice green onions. After 10-15 minutes, gently stir again if the oil from the peanut butter has separated. Serve hot, with a generous handful of green onion slices on each serving.



11 comments:

Federica Simoni said...

foto e ricetta splendide! complimenti! ciao!

Veronica Culver said...

AMAZING as usual Jules!! I will have to try this. It just looks and sounds fantastic. Your photography is out of this world, too!

-Veronica

Stephanie Quilao said...

I love that this stew is dairy free. I got allergies. Gonna try it :-)

Cara said...

Kalyn's blog is great! I remember seeing this recipe a long time ago and wanting to make it, but for whatever reason never got around to it. Definitely bookmarking again, thanks for the reminder!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

This looks absolutlely delicious and will certainly be on my 'must do' list. Peanut butter and chicken is not a stretch at all for me. CHeck out my peanut butter/chicken showstopper here: http://www.sisboomblog.com/2010/07/indonesian-peanut-chicken.html I wish I could photograph so nicely!

test it comm said...

This is one tasty sounding stew!

Lisa said...

This was delicious! I made it for a chili cook-off for our Sunday School class and won the Grand prize! I did add 1 tsp. cumin....

Jules and Ruby said...

Lisa...CONGRATS on the big GRAND prize!!!!...this really IS good isn't it?, i take no credit for the recipe, but i'm so happy to share good things i find.

Kalyn Denny said...

Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the nice words about my blog

Marc Kromer said...

Hi,

I'm not sure if you are aware of that, but someone is using you pictures and recipes:

https://cbfoodie.wordpress.com/2014/12/05/low-carb-chicken-stew/

She did it with others too.

Cheers,
Marc

bamgosoowm said...

OMG~!!!!! into your huge blog for almost the last hour.|I think the admin of this website is really working a lot.|Thanks for posting this up on your blog.|I am surprised at how slow your article loaded on my lap top.|Thank you for writing these great website.|The shorter response is that I don't know very much about the subject, a longer answer is that I'm going to understand what I'm able to Thanks for this post. I found it to be very encouraging. I really learned a lot because of you.부산달리기

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...