Saturday, August 28, 2010

Pickled Eggs

PICKLED EGGS...reeeeally pickled...yum

well, i'm a little embarrassed to say, this is the only pickling i have done this year...who am i trying to kid here...this is the ONLY pickling i have EVER done in my life. i've always wanted to get into the whole canning thing so i thought pickling would be a jump start and kind of in the same category...pretty food in cute jars.

these bright little pink gems are not only pretty, but really tasty and much more fun than a regular ol' hard boiler. they are so easy to make and i was quite pleased (tickled pink you might say) with the results. i think they would be great as a colorful egg salad or deviled with some interesting filling...there are many many possibilities i'm sure...

so if you're a pickling novice, like myself, give these a go and be sure to use older eggs for your hard boilers..they make for a clean peel. a clean smooth peeled egg is key...no cracks or holes in the whites makes for a good picklin'


PRETTY IN PINK...PICKLED EGGS

To pickle, drain 1 can (16 oz.) sliced beets, reserving juice. Set beets aside for another use. In medium saucepan, combine reserved beet juice, 1 3/4 cups white vinegar, 1 cup sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons whole allspice and 1 stick cinnamon, halved. Bring to boiling, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Arrange 8-9 PEELED hard-boiled eggs in 1-quart jar with tight-fitting lid...TIGHT being the operative word here..you do not want this bright pick juice to leak. Pour hot mixture over eggs. Cover tightly. Store in cool place OR cool at room temperature 1 hour. Refrigerate to blend flavors, at least several days or up to several weeks. After opening, refrigerate and use within 1 week.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, the eggs look excellent! I'm trying this very soon.

Paula said...

wow, I`m going to do this after that weekend :)

Unknown said...

I'm loving that pop of color!

I would like to invite you to participate in my giveaway at http://atasteofkoko.blogspot.com/2010/08/mini-pistachio-tea-cakes-40.html

janet said...

These are so pretty in pink! You have tempted me to try my first pickling job, too! :)

Gerlinde in Washington said...

Your eggs look amazing!

Anonymous said...

My grandma used to make these... they are a Pennsylvania Dutch specialty. I've been dying (haha) to try to make them myself! Thanks!

Trissa said...

The pickled eggs are gorgeous with the pink hue... I'd love to try these with quail eggs as well....

Jules and Ruby said...

trissa..quail eggs would be soooo cute...they are a pain to peel, but the cute factor would be worth it.

Angry Asian said...

thank you for posting this, i made it this recently and they were surprisingly lovely. how long did you keep your eggs in the juice? mine didn't color all the way thru. i made them on a wednesday and they were consumed the following saturday.

Jules and Ruby said...

hi Anrgry Asian...i'm glad you made these...i think i had mine in the fridge for a long time...i forgot they were there, that's why they are so bright...might have been a week at least...maybe a couple weeks. hard boiled AND pickled-i think they could last forever...kidding. thanks for stopping by...jules

AlizaEss said...

Found this post through Angry Asian! Oooohhhh, PEELED hard boiled eggs. I recently tried to make this dish from memory with some leftover pickled beet juice and I left the shells on. The calcium dissolved and got bubbly and the eggs were a terrible soft texture. Live and learn! P.S. Your photos are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I made these for my husband, who hates eggs... He said if I made them he would try them, and he loved them! I should have used older eggs so they peeled easily but, I just couldn't wait. They weren't as pretty as the picture but they were oh so tasty! I have family and friends asking me to make them for them.

Jules and Ruby said...

hey Anonymous...glad your husband liked them. isn't it a bummer when the darn eggs won't peel nicely?. i read that a little baking soda in the water helps. haven't tried it. maybe next time.

Unknown said...

pickled eggs, i have been enjoyin since i was a toddler. Awesome, simple, hard boiled eggs peeled preferably while still warm, heat up a couple or few or many cans of beets with juice add some a cup 2 or whatever of apple cidar vinegar some water if you need some sugar if you want. poor over eggs in a large jar or container your pick and put in the frig for a few days i am doing mine tonight and will be perfect on sunday my mom did hers 2 nights ago for sunday. The longer the better,

Jules and Ruby said...

hi Bev... thanks for your recipe, i think i might do some more eggs soon.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! I just made these last week and they tasted so delicious! I took out the last egg tonight and was wondering about the left over brine. Can I just hard boil some more eggs and re-use the same brine? Any concerns with doing this? Thanks again!

Jules and Ruby said...

hi anonymous. sorry late reply. i would just use a new brine. the other eggs have soaked up most of the flavors and salt/sugar. yeah....i think start fresh :)

Unknown said...

You should add the beets to the jar too. That's what my Grandma did and they were pretty tasty too.

bamgosoowm said...

Thank you for every other magnificent post. The place else could anybody get that type
of info in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I'm at the
search for such information.오피

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...