Thursday, November 18, 2010

MOROCCAN GOAT STEW


well, i'm so sorry that i was away for a while with my computer problems, but i was definitely still in the kitchen trying out new savory flavors and sweet treats...i have loads of goodies to post.

let me start with this MOROCCAN GOAT STEW
 as you might guess by now, i'm always on the lookout for things a little out of the ordinary.  i came across some goat at one of my favorite markets in Irvine, CA called Wholesome Foods.  if you're lucky enough to have one in your area you should check it out.  great stuff for Middle Eastern cooking.  their produce alone is worth the trip.
as i was poking around looking for something new, i saw some fresh goat shanks...not knowing what the heck to do with it, i bought it anyway...and sooooo glad i did.

GOAT IS GOOD !

i think it tastes like a cross between lamb and beef.  the texture and flavor was fabulous.  i had to add a little beef to my recipe because i didn't have quite enough of the goat the recipe called for.  i was  surprised to find that i really liked the goat much better.  this slow cooking stew was just the right way to introduce a new meat to the party. (the "party" usually consists of ME, MYSELF and I.)  i will definitely try it again.


now with goat in my fridge i went straight to google.
luck on my side, i found this fabulous recipe at Cehun Family Recipes... Recipe.Cehun.com.
with many thanks to the Cehun Family for bringing goat to my table i have copied the recipe for you below exactly.  i usually put in some notes, but this time i did exactly as the recipe was written...i suggest you do the same because it is absolutely fabulous...no changes necessary.  one thing i would like to add is that this would lend itself to any slow cooked stew meat...lamb would be wonderful...beef was great...maybe even pork.  the base of this recipe is so delicious it's worth a try with anything you choose.  i am aware that "GOAT" is not available at every supermarket.


MOROCCAN GOAT STEW


FOR THE GOAT
1 tbspn olive oil
750g goat shoulder, cut into 4-5cm cubes
1 onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 can plum tomatoes, chopped
1 cinnamon stick
30g dried apricots, roughly chopped
pinch of saffron
goat or lamb stock or water

FOR THE SPICE MIXTURE
1 tspn ground cumin
1 tspn ground coriander
1 tspn ground ginger
1.5 tspn smoked paprika
1 tspn turmeric
Half tspn ground chilli
Salt and freshly ground pepper

TO GARNISH
4 tbspn finely chopped coriander
Half-1 tspn of Harissa paste
zest and juice of half a lemon
1 tbspn honey

SERVE WITH
300gm pumpkin, peeled, chopped into 1-2cm cubes and roasted in olive oil with a little seasoning.

METHOD
Place the olive oil in a large saucepan or casserole pan and put it over a moderate-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion to the pan and sweat for one minute until transparent.

Place all the spice mixture ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Toss the goat in the spices so that it is well coated.
Add the spiced goat and garlic to the pan and seal the goat on all sides so that it is browned.

Stir in the chopped tomatoes, cinnamon stick, apricots, saffron and enough stock to just cover the goat. Bring to the oil then reduce to a slow simmer. Leave the goat to cook for 1-1.5 hours or until the meat is tender, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon (add more stock or water if the liquid is below the goat). (You can do this on top of the stove or in the oven. If the stew is too watery, drain off the excess liquid into a saucepan and reduce until thickened. Then return to the stew.
Stir in 3 tblspns of the chopped coriander, harissa paste (more or less to taste), lemon zest, juice and honey.
Garnish with roasted pumpkin and scatter over remaining coriander

27 comments:

Debs @ Acquiredish said...

This sounds lovely. Although goat is not available here in local supermarkets in Spain. I'm sure I can get some from my local goat herder! Watch this space LOL.

Shay said...

This looks absolutely delicious. Goat isn't available in my local supermarket...I think I will give this a try with lamb. Yum!

Cindy said...

When I lived in Washington DC, one of our favorite places in Adams Morgan was a Jamaican place that specialized in goat. Where on earth do you get goat down there in so. Cal.?? Lamb would probably be a good substitute.

Celeste said...

This looks great! I may substitute sweet potato for the pumpkin. I am just making goat and lamb stock from some majorly bony lamb and goat I got. I'll make sure my butcher gives me some meat next time!

Jules and Ruby said...

Celeste...i bet the sweet potato will taste great. i hope you enjoy it. thanks for stopping by

Christina said...

I made this for my book club last night. It was a big hit, despite the fact that the market gave me whatever part of the goat has the absolute most bones and gristle. (There seemed to be a lot of vertebrae in there...) I doubled the cooking time to make it more tender, but it could have used another hour.

Jules and Ruby said...

Christina...so glad you tried this...your right. i just had some goat from my Mexican market and it DOES have a lot of bones...maybe it's the nature of the beast?...i think i might make this recipe again. i remember it was sooo good. thanks for stopping by with your notes...jules

Cat said...

What a great site! Thanks for this post...my husband and I bought a bunch of goat meat from a local farmer and I've been researching on the internet trying to figure out what to do with it...then looking for assurance that I can use some of my favorite lamb stew flavors and swap the goat in. Looks like that's a go. Your photos and recipes are awesome--I'll be back!

joehawkins said...

hi there! just discovered your blog via a search on "goat meat stew"... i made this on THU and it was absolutely delish! i just discovered goat meat... and i love it. this spice combo is great... i made extra to use for other applications. great blog, keep 'em coming. :)

Jules and Ruby said...

hi cat...i must have missed your great comment, but HEY...thanks...

joehawkins...WOW, i'm so glad you liked this. i love everything "goat"...goat yogurt, goat cheese, goat MEAT ! have you tried Birria?...a Mexican goat stew...fabulous as well. i haven't made it myself, but it's on my list. thanks for stopping by

joehawkins said...

i saw birria recipes during my search... agree, that looks terrific and i think it will be my next challenge. i just got a portion of goat loin (about 3lbs with bone)... would burria work with that?

Jules and Ruby said...

hi joehawkins...or can i call ya "joe"...
i haven't cooked Birria yet but i'm sure the loin would. any cut that needs low and slow cooking would work great i bet. maybe you'll be giving me your recipe this time. i'll try to google around and get some ideas.

emiboocruz said...

I cooked this for dinner tonight and my husband loved it. I used a little over one kilogram of goat, but that was perfect, as it shrinks so much while it cooks. The sauce is so flavoursome in the end, even without the harissa (did not add it because I was serving it to my 13mo as well). Thanks so much for the recipe - it was my first time cooking goat!

Jules and Ruby said...

emiboocruz...so glad you liked it. the rich flavorful sauce is so good. i should make it again. thanks for giving your report back. i love to hear that more people like goat.

Marian said...

Hello,
My husband bought goat instead of lamb by accident (yes... :-)) and a search via google brought me to your lovely blog.

Thank you so much for this recipe!
I made this yesterday evening and my husband and myself both loved it... such a flavourful sauce, mmmmm!
I will post it on my blog and link to yours of course... if that's OK?
Many greetings from Belgium and I will follow your blog from now on,
Marian

Jules and Ruby said...

Hello Marian from Belgium...so glad you enjoyed this. i hope you liked the "goat". i found that i really like it. i hope to post another recipe soon using it with Mexican flavors...maybe a Birria de Chivo (goat stew) rich with Mexican red sauce. thanks for the great report.

Marian said...

Hello Jules,
I have published your recipe on my blog with a link to yours!
(http://avonturenindekeuken.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/marokkaanse-geitenstoofpot.html)
Thanks again for the inspiration and I'm looking forward to your new goat recipes :-)
Marian

Anonymous said...

Took a quick look at the comments while my goat meat was browning. Have travelled in north Africa and I know the taste will be yum and right on the money. Thyme added will bring another dimension as well. Plain potatoes and carrots would work with this... for those of you looking for sources of goat meat, try your local farmer's market or your local halal market, which is where I regularly get my goat meat. Bon apetit, All! Tamara

Jules and Ruby said...

hi Tamara...thanks so much for the comment and the extra information for future followers. i hope you enjoyed the end result. i think i'll make this soon for the cold weather...yummy soups and stews are on the way . i think i'll start with this one.

Marian...so sorry i missed your comment...and thanks so much for the mention in your post. great job on the stew. hope to hear from you again

Anonymous said...

I used antelope (which we call goat)it was great! r

Jules and Ruby said...

hi Anonymous...how interesting. was it really antelope or was it really goat? i wish i could try some antelope. so glad you liked it and thanks for the report

Peter said...

Absolutely marvellous, thank you. I changed the recipe a bit.
Worked with goat leg, added some chick peas and sultanas, a little bit more lemon juice and honey and stacks more coriander (cilantro).
Included sweet potato and some carrot too.
Served it with couscous in stead of pumpkin.
Absolutely fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

Steph said...

This is my go to recipe for moroccan goat stew. I have made the dish about 3 times already (with and without the squash) and love it! Thanks for sharing.

Sonia said...

Made this with much success, cooked very slowly in the oven in a cast iron pot. As suggested, drained off the liquid, reduced then added back the meat. Perfect!

us.itv247 said...

https://livestreamtv.online/nfl-scorewashington-vs-browns-live-nfl-2020/

https://livestreamtv.online/raiders-vs-patriots-live-nfl-2020/

https://livestreamtv.online/bengals-vs-eagles-live-nfl-2020/

https://livestreamtv.online/buccaneers-vs-broncos-live-nfl-2020/

https://livestreamtv.online/packers-vs-saints-live-nfl-2020/

https://livestreamtv.online/cowboys-vs-seahawks-live-nfl-2020/


https://livestreamtv.online/lions-vs-cardinals-live-2020/

https://livestreamtv.online/panthers-vs-chargers-live/

Monirul Islam said...

https://livestreamtv.online/nfl-scorewashington-vs-browns-live-nfl-2020/

https://livestreamtv.online/raiders-vs-patriots-live-nfl-2020/

https://livestreamtv.online/bengals-vs-eagles-live-nfl-2020/

https://livestreamtv.online/buccaneers-vs-broncos-live-nfl-2020/

https://livestreamtv.online/packers-vs-saints-live-nfl-2020/

https://livestreamtv.online/cowboys-vs-seahawks-live-nfl-2020/


https://livestreamtv.online/lions-vs-cardinals-live-2020/

https://livestreamtv.online/panthers-vs-chargers-live/

East Side Butchers said...

Its much informative and much usefull content. Grass-fed Australian wagyu picanha marbling makes it highly scrumptious. When the oil is dissolved throughout the meat, it is at its juiciest and most tender. Therefore, I recommend cooking it medium rare to medium. Here are a few simple pointers to get you started.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...